Sunday, September 14, 2003

Hurricane? What hurricane? Despite a forcast for scatter showers and thhunderstorms, a high surf warning and small craft advisory for the southern shore of Long Island, and forecasted 20 knot winds and 5-7 foot waves (which means choppy), we went fishing today off of Montauk. Clear blue skies, barely even a swell let alone a wave, 80 degrees and all the bluefish you could ever possibly want. We kept running into them all day - even on our way back in we stopped about three times because we just happened upon blitzes that the birds weren't working (I think they were all full). If I get around to it I'll post a pic of some fish and better yet some peanut bunker that got spewed all over the deck by a blue.

No albies though :(

Also, I broke my fly rod. Thankfully it's got a lifetime warranty so I can simply take it back to Orvis and they'll give me a new one. All the same I was a little bummed because I had to use my spincasting rod from DonArt the rest of the day. Not that I don't love that rod, but catching blues on a fly rod is infinitely more fun, plus I tied a gazillion flies for this weekend (albeit most albie flies, surfcandy and whatnot; I had one olive angel hair clauser that probably would have doubled for the bunker pretty well). We threw all the blues back; I still have a freezer full of striper and fluke anyhow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home