Saturday, November 29, 2003

We had too much food for only 10 people last night.

Since my brother is a cook at the fancy shmancy No. 9 Park, he got a 20 lb free range turkey at work. I made regular (toasted ciabatta, celery, onions, dried cranberries, apples and chestnuts oh and fresh sage and thyme from my plants) stuffing and low carb (same as regular but with LC bread and a lot of mushroom-herb sausage) for it.

We had an assortment of cheeses, and then had a slew of wellfleet oysters that my brother brought from work. Half we had raw, and the other half were poached in a cream sauce.


Next we had a creamy parsnip soup.



Then came a domestic (upstate NY) foie gras. My brother got this from work, too. It's nice to be able to get shit wholesale; he only paid $29 for the entire liver. This was served with an asian pear/pomegranate marmalade and fresh chervil. Oh, and also with the requisite sauterne.




After that was everytihng else - the turkey/stuffing, mashed potatoes, creamy mashed rutabaga, cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, cranberry-raspberry sauce, wild rice, mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows (this made my brother gag), brussels sprouts, spicy dry fried green beans, salad with walnuts, roquefort cheese and a raspberry vinaegrette, and I'm sure there was more but I'm forgetting it. We didn't have much salad, as someone put the greens next to the ooling element in the fridge and half of them were frozen. Oops.

Dessert was apple pie, maple pecan pie, and an blackberry-apple crumble that was supposed to have creme anglaise. Unfortunately somehow my brother managed to put the custard down on top of a burner that was on, boil it, and scramble the eggs. We had no heavy cream left at that point so we had to resort to fake whipped cream from a can. Ick!

Unfortunately the only leftovers I took home were some salad greens, a wedge of pecan pie, turkey, and cranberry sauce :( I ate all the rest of the LC stuff up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home