Tuesday, May 04, 2004

I love my students. Here's a lttle emal exchange I recently had with one of them:

From: -student-

hey sorry to bug ya i know u are busy. i visisted the museam in the earth sciences center like -lowercased last name of instructor- said we could do for extra credit. i wrote a page and some. but there is no proof that i was there, there are no pamphlets or anyone even in the museam. do i need proof that i went cuz thats what i heard? thanks for ur time, respond only at ur convenice


(note, that the syllabus is very explicit in that you need proof of your visit, similarly it's been mentioned just about every single class)

From : -me-

I know that there often are not people there, so it is okay that you do not have any proof of your visit. Just hand in your one page summary that talks about an exhibit you saw illustrating an ecological principle relevant to class as Professor -prof's last name- outlined in the syllabus. Also, please proofread and spellcheck your paper to make sure that the spelling and grammar are better than that in the email you sent to me.

(I don't think that was terribly rude given the disrespectful nature of her initial email, do you? I mean I casually added in the PROFESSOR, and since many students DO hand in papers that say "thru" instead of "through", "u" instead of "you" etc., well, if she's going to send me an email with the spelling and grammar or a third grader, I'll treat her like one and remind her to use spellcheck and grammarcheck, right?

From : -student-

well sorry about my grammar in my email, i work full time and still get a's and b's in everything, so i dont have time to write you a perfect email, so try to have some respect for people, even if they are just " the students".



Is it me, or is it retarded of her to say something like that, particularly when I know exactly who she is? And is it me, or is her logic... illogical? And is it me, or does respect go both ways? And.. well I could go on and on. I'm just baffled by these SUNY "college" students. It just makes me totally sad to look at them and then think about the sad state of the public school system on Long ISland... and then I think abut hwo the NYC public school systm must be even worse... and then it makes me feel bad for feeling sorry for myself that I'm making $12,000/year in graduate school and having to deal with these lazy, whiny brats.

I mean, at least I have a brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home