Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I love love love the adirondacks. Beautiful week.
Thurs: Drive up, clean up. If you go up to the bivy this winter, note that the entire vestibule is now laid with brick. I would have gone up a day later if I'd known I was going to be subjected to manual labor!
Fri: Plattsburgh to pick up kegs, people start arriving. Keg of Ubu nearly kicked by bedtime.
Saturday: Get up, try to wait til noon to start drinking, fail miserably. Horseshoe tournament kicks off, get paired with Joe (what are the chances? Well 1 in 15, actually), lose. I did score a point. Band plays many many sets, lots of good food, lots of nice people, 4th keg gets kicked around 11:30 - just in time for the tracers. The air compressor manages to blow the circuit breaker right out of the fuse box.
Sunday: Miracle! No hangover! I was a good girl on Saturday I guess - dancing helps get the alcohol out and keeps you from drinking too much in the first place anyway. The boys are all playing golf. Take Rocky and Stella on a hike up Hurricane Mtn - super crowded up top, not too bad on the trail. Drop off the muddy, tired dogs, grab my fishing gear and hit the West Fork. Two hours later I have a couple of bites and things are looking up when I make the mistake of looking up at a passing car. Trip over a submerged log, and my waders start to fill up. Bruised, wet, cold, freaked out and with a non-functional, water logged cell phone, I call it a day and head back to the bivy. BBQ over at the cabins; I walk over and eat a bit but I'm so exhausted physically and mentally that I wander back and get into bed around 7 pm.
Monday: Rainy morning, but it clears up so Joe, his friend Andrew, Greg and Mike and I head over to Deadwater cliff - newish crag not in the guide book. Some nice climbing there, flash a 5.9-ish roof (yay me, is my roof technique improving?) but far too many black flies - and they're not even bad yet! We drive back and Joe's 'boss' takes us out to dinner at the Baxter Mtn. Tavern. The food is mediocre but it's nice to sit outside and eat. We do a little Office marathon when we get back.
Tuesday: Dawns clear and beautiful, but quickly begins to cloud up. We wanted to go to Plattsburgh in the AM to return the kegs and pick up some stuff to change my oil, fix my light switch etc, and then hike up Noonmark to do some climbing, but by the time we get to town it's pouring rain. We meet Joe's boss for lunch instead, and then drive back and futz around with my car (which, with a few rubberbands, we eventually fixed). I finally take off for home around 10pm and have a relatively uneventful ride back.

I really love the time I spend upstate and it's always kind of a bummer when it's time to go home - especially when I've just spent 6 days up there and yet only managed to get in 4 short routes climbing, 2 hours of fishing and a 5 mile hike. I'm just ticking off the days until I get the time to go up again... probably in about 3 weeks... who knows. Maybe I can get a gunks day or two in before that. I have a feeling I'm not going to have much time for going out to the Hamptons this summer...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

19 July, 2006 13:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home