Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I would just like to announce to the world that I am ALWAYS ahead of the trend. ALWAYS.
Remember that lipgloss I had that was posted on tunekies several months (more than several) ago? This one?


Yeah well, guess what is all over the drugstores now. HMMM??? Knockoffs! I paid $19 for mine. You can get the Revlon knockoff (it ain't on Revlon's site yet) for about $7.50 and It might be better because I use it more often cause it's cheaper, and then there is another knockoff whose name I forget that has a really bad applicator (it's like solid, not a little brush) and has a funny taste but only costs $4.99. So THERE.

Of course my surprisingly prescient taste usually manifests in my choice of footwear. Remember when Merrel Jungle slides and Mocs came out? Cause I sure do - I was selling hiking shoes, among other things, at the time.


Yeah. You've seen them. EVERYONE has them, in all sorts of materials and colors. Well guess what. In the beginning there were slides for women and mocs for men, and they only came in taupe and black. I didn't have the $$ to buy a pair of the slides in taupe until around November of 1999, but when I did, I assure you that people commented constantly on my "Robin Hood Elf" shoes. Yeah, well GUESS THE FUCK WHAT. A year later, guess who was wearing them. EVERYONE.

As another example, let me mention another pair of shoes, the Steve Madden Slinky.

I doubt you will find a more ubiquitous womens' shoes anywhere, although its popularity finally seems to be declining as of late. Knockoffs are still quite popular with the Walmart set. I bought a pair of those in late 1997 at a Steve Madden store. I don't think they went through the roof until 1999. I still have em. They're comfy.

Three years ago my mother went to Greece. I asked her to bring me back a leather purse (I don't have a photo; something like this only with a shoulder strap), and she did. I still use it like every day (me using a purse?! is another issue altogether). Guess what was super trendy last summer (or was it the summer before)? Oh yeah! Embossed leather purses. Man am I hot or what?

Peasant skirts? Did anyone say peasant skirts last summer?

And so on and so forth. I don't buy as much footwear as I used to back in the day, so it's hard to say what the next big trend will be. I will mention though that all those leather sandles with the toe straps that are all decorated and shit are pretty hip this summer. Yeah. When I was in Italy many years ago, I bought a pair of white leather sandles with just a single strap plus a big-toe strap, decorated with brass flowers. Uh huh. If I could find those god damn things I'd be a style diva this summer. Oh and when I say strap and toe strap I mean something like this without the connecting strap betwixt 'em.

The big question of course is what will be hot next year (since I already fufilled my summer quota with the lipstick). I shall have to check my wardrobs and accessories and get back to you....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home